Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Week 2 : web searching is fun!


Web Searching is fun!

For this week task, I have to participate in the discussion about web searching. Frankly, I wouldn't expect to know more about this topic as I thought that this is one of my strengths.
After reading some good articles about search engines and discussing about them, I realized that without search strategies or techniques, finding what you need could be like finding a needle in a haystack according to Learnwebskills.
Fortunately for me, I have learned a great amount of fantastic search engines and techniques in the first part of the week. I didn't realize how these amazing strategies could help me improve my web searching skill. Now I have many options when I want to find something in specific area. If I want to know about academic resources, I can go to INFOMINE and Intute. To avoid finding a particular topic out of thousands of results, I can refine and narrow my topic by using SurfWax and iSeekEducation. I also found a great engine to find background on possible topics on SweetSearch and Columbia Encyclopedia

how's google sounds like?
Moreover, I found fascinating and useful engines for my students. Twurdy, KidsClick and Ask Kids are all great sites for the students which absolutely make them enjoy their web searching in an easy way.
I have already introduced those sites to my students and they really found interesting to use them. Though some might still stick to Google as their favourite, it’s pretty pleased to see most of them are willing to try out something new out of their comfort zone. They talked to me about the differences they’ve found during their search. To make this more fascinating, I’m going to give them a task to present about their opinions of the new search engines.  After all, effective web searching is definitely an important part of enhancing my professional.

Oh, nearly forgot to mention. In this week, I have to describe the population of my class in Nicenet as a first step of the final project. It’s really nice to know about my peers’ classes and their teaching environment.

Now, I’m off to work on how to write a behavioral learning objective with ABCD style. I will blog about it later this week. Don’t miss it!

3 comments:

  1. Dear Zun,

    I am glad to be the first to post a comment. I like it when you said that you thought this is one of your strengths. It was interesting browsing for all these search engines you mentioned above. It seems we have a lot in common, I also prefer all these web browsers. They are very useful tools for finding everything we need. I think they will also be useful for our students to improve their searching skills.
    I look forward to introduce these web browsers to my students and I cannot wait to hear their reflections about them.
    Everything the best...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Zun Phyu,

    thank you for sharing resourceful links with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Lina. I think that sharing and caring are important in learning and teaching community.
      Best,

      Delete